Monday, July 7, 2008

So busy!!

Wow, for the first time since the wedding, I'M SO BUSY!

Today was my first day babysitting. The youth pastor's wife hired me to watch their baby girl, Abigail, during the day. Abigail is 10 months old and full of energy. She definitely keeps me on my feet when she's awake. Although very interested in exploring everything in my apartment, Abigail soon became bored and was not even interested in her lunch too much. Thankfully, I discovered she loves going on walks in her stroller and that keeps her very calm for a while. She also loves music and apparently dancing to Veggie Tales songs. :-)

One thing I don't think I've figured out, though, is how to effectively change babies' diapers. For some reason, kids always hate it when I try to do this activity. Not that I blame them, I would hate it too, but it has to be done. Making funny faces seems to work a little with Abigail, but she's still very squirmy. If anyone has any good tips on getting kids to sit still for a diaper change, I'm open to ideas. :-) Other than that, we get along fine. She seems to need a lot of sleep and is currently passed out in the other room in her little portable crib. I'm so glad for the company, but it's also nice that I get a little alone time too.

I also need to prepare for my upcoming trip up to State College. Thursday is when I have my two interviews. I'm leaving from the Norfolk bus terminal on Wednesday morning and will be gone until Friday night. Not only do I need to make sure I have everything in order to take with me, but I need to make sure Jon has everything he needs to survive the three days in my absence. I think he'll be fine, but I'm not sure how well he'll get through it emotionally. :-)

In addition to all that, our building is being sprayed tomorrow for roaches. That means that, tomorrow morning, I need to have all the kitchen cabinets completely cleared out. That was ok the last time we did this, but tomorrow, Abigail will be here, and I'm not sure where I'll put everything. It'll be a little bit of a zoo here tomorrow, but I'm sure it will all work out fine. I'm planning to take Abigail to the pool tomorrow too. That should be fun and get us out of the apartment. Well, I feel a little bit more like a responsible adult with all this stuff going on. Hopefully I can get things in order by tomorrow night so that my trip will go smoothly and Jon will be able to survive here on this end too.

~Rachel

No comments: